Hagemeister Park was a large public park along the banks of the East River, where the Packers began playing on an open field in 1919. Fans helped build a fence around the playing field so the Packers could charge admission in 1920, but the small wooden ballpark was torn down following the season. In the spring of 1921, a look-alike was built on the same spot and with the same lumber to serve Green Bay’s amateur baseball team. When the Packers were admitted in late August to what is now the NFL, seating was enlarged to about 3,500. In all, the Packers played here for four seasons – their inaugural two, plus their first two in the NFL.